Date Posted: January 10th, 2018 08:00 AM
Deadline: February 7th, 2018 05:00 PM
Department: Forestry Department
Compensation: $23.44 – $25.31 per hour DOE (Wage includes $2.50 per hour Skill-Based Pay for ND Class A CDL – must obtain within probationary period)
Hours: 40 per week
To apply, please submit the required City application and Pre-Interview Questionnaire, which can be found by clicking on the links above, at Job Service, or at City Hall. Resume and official transcripts are also required. Veterans claiming preference must submit Form DD214 with the application. The deadline to apply is the close of business on Wednesday, February 7th, 2018. Late applications will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information contact Shelly at 701-456-7801, or email email@example.com.
Performs administrative support, lead and technical work in grounds maintenance, care of trees, shrubs and other plant materials on City and Park District properties. Works with City Forestry Committee to develop and implement goals and objectives for forestry program according to the community needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in forestry, landscape and grounds maintenance activities on City properties and right of ways. Assigns daily work of Forestry personnel. Instructs and trains seasonal staff on planting, pruning, disease detection and treatment of trees.
- Assists in preparing bid specifications; soliciting quotations from vendors; approving purchases; ensuring purchases meet departmental specifications and requirements.
- Works with City Forestry Committee to develop City Forestry programs. Assists in preparation of budget. Prepares program and project proposals for City Forestry Committee.
- Inspects trees and shrubs for disease infestation and other structural defects. Recommends and/or conducts treatment, pruning and removal of public trees when necessary.
- Represents the City and Park & Recreation District regarding forestry program. Investigates complaints regarding hazardous private trees and enforces removal as necessary.
- Review and oversee landscape and planting plans for City properties.
- Plans and conducts community workshops on forestry and horticulture subjects.
- Enforce Forestry ordinances. Recommend amendments to City Forestry ordinances as necessary. Issue permits for tree planting and removal.
- Tasks are multiple and diverse with some interrelationship across processes. Handles some unrelated functions.
- Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies and/or precedents.
- Knowledge of urban forestry and arboricultural principles and practices as applied to planting, care and maintenance of trees;
- Knowledge of horticultural practices and design principles;
- Ability to use and care for tools and equipment used in tree care and maintenance and landscaping projects;
- Knowledge of tree diseases, infestations and corrective treatment;
- Knowledge of tree species and ability to identify trees and shrubs growing in our area;
- Ability to diagnose tree and shrub problems and diseases and proper care procedures;
- Ability to plan, organize, lead and evaluate the work of personnel
- Valid Driver’s License
- North Dakota Class A Commercial Driver’s License is required – must obtain within probationary period;
- Pesticide and herbicide application license within six months of hire.
- Pre-employment drug screen, background check, and reference checks are required
Desirable Training and Experience
- Associates Degree in Urban Forestry or closely related field; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two years of increasingly responsible experience in Urban Forestry, and Grounds Maintenance or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of this position.
EMPLOYER PAID BENEFITS
- Vacation – 8 hours per month accrual for years 1-5
- Sick Leave – 8 hours per month accrual
- Personal Leave – Employees are permitted to use up to 16 hours of sick leave per year for personal leave
- Longevity Pay – Sliding scale based on tenure with City (After 5 years of Service), paid annually
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Bereavement Leave
- Holidays – 10 holidays plus one day for birthday
- Employee Assistance Program
EMPLOYER/EMPLOYEE SHARED COST BENEFITS
- Health Insurance – NDPERS (SHP) – Employer pays 80% of premium
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – The City puts $450 into a Medical Spending Account for full-time employees
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plan – Employee contributes 5%; Employer matches 5%
- Life Insurance – Employer pays 50% of premium. Supplemental life insurance option
- Flexible Benefits – Medical Spending Account – pre-tax (2018 max – $2,650) – Daycare Expenses – pre-tax (2018 max – $5,000)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Aflac Insurance
- West River Community Center Membership – 50% Discount off Annual Membership
- 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan – Pre-Tax or Roth option
Civil Service Status upon successful completion of the probationary period.